Hi All, the catalog for our upcoming regional show is now available on Amazon (link below if you want to share it with anyone else). You can get it for $10, and proceeds go to our regional SAQA group who will be able to use the funds to help support future shows. The postcard (front and back) for the show is shown below, feel free to download and distribute it to help drum up publicity.
Special thanks to the organizers, especially Karen Hansen and Mary Kay Fosnacht for all their hard work putting this together, and if you have a quilt in the show don't forget to send it/drop it off!
Hope to see everyone at the closing reception on July 29th.
Friday, February 24, 2017
SAQA - KS MO OK
February 18, 2017
Attending: 13 Members, no Guests
The meeting took place at the Johnson County Library - Lackman branch. The quilt art on the walls, and on display at the library, are by the Fractured Fabric Society. The landscape quilt behind Cindy Parry is by Susan Stevenson and the black and white quilts are by SAQA member Rosemary Cromer.
- Cindy Parry gave a presentation on her Tsunami / Japan disaster quilts. It was great to see them up close and ask questions about her techniques and hear her reasons and inspiration for each one. Thank you, Cindy!
- Cindy Parry shared what she learned about shipping her quilts and gave some specific tips. She noted that Bill Reker of SAQA was very helpful and gave her good advice.
- Show and Tell
- Andrea Luliak – 52 weeks of 7” square art quilts, an example of tri-axial weaving
- Claudia Mazur brought a piece in progress inspired by Susan B. Anthony and the right to vote.
- Karen Hansen – Disappearing 9 patch, Just Passin’ Through, Mixed Messages. Just Passin’ Through was accepted to the Nebraska exhibit, “Passages.” Congratulations, Karen!
- Cindy Parry – Illumination, Life Seasons 1,2,3,4 and 5, and examples made from a class with Susan Lenz.
- Linda Frost – mono print from a class taken at the Lawrence Art Center
- Kathy Suprenant – mono print from a class taken at the Lawrence Art Center
- Mary Kay Fosnacht – Female Cardinal, United We Stand, Strait of Georgia from Thetis Island which was also accepted to Nebraska’s “Passages” exhibit.
*Passages will be showing at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum from April 18th – April 30th. They are still looking for other venues.
- Our Changing Landscape Call for Entry
- You have until February 28th to enter up to 3 art quilts.
- You need to enter!
- Please don’t be intimidated by the process. Some of our (self-proclaimed) less technical members have entered successfully – You can do it!!
- Don’t stress about the photos. Take a picture and if it looks good to you, go with it.
- If you need help, contact Karen (PC) or Mary Kay (Mac).
- You need to enter!
* If paying online is an issue for you, we can take a check. Let Karen or Mary Kay know or you can contact Jen Solon directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival (KCRQF)
- Linda Frost will head the SAQA booth at KCRQF. She will be looking for volunteers to set up, tend the booth and take down.
- Linda Frost would like to decorate the booth with 12” auction quilts made by our regional members. More details to follow, but we are hoping you will all make one (Or more!) for the booth and then donate it to the SAQA benefit auction.
- KCRQF will be June 15, 16, and 17, 2017. Visit the website for more info about the festival: http://kcrqf.com/
- Entry for judged quilts at KCRQF is March 1–31st. Visit the website for rules and instructions.
- Lincoln Conference
- A few day spots remain open, contact SAQA for details
- Spotlight auction deadline has been extended to March 15th. They are 6” x 8” to be displayed in mats with a 4.5 x 6.5” opening. More details HERE.
- Around Town
- Common Threads: Anatomy of the Wound, Feb. 18th – March 4th at the Country Club Congregational United Church of Christ, 205 W. 65th St., KC MO 64113. Exhibition viewing: Tues / Thurs, 6-8 pm; Sat, 10-12; Sun, 12-2. Sponsored by UMKC Women’s Center.
- Next meeting is May 20th. Location and topic TBA.