Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Announcement from Cindy Parry

Hi all, Cindy Parry's Daishinsai Quilt Series of the Japan Triple Disaster has been advertised on the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo site that is running this month in Fredericksburg, VA.  The quilts will travel on from there to Chicago then  Minneapolis in October and November.  Cindy will be doing gallery talks in Minneapolis in November, so if you have a chance to attend any of these shows, please check out her work!

Here are a couple of pictures from Cindy and an excerpt from her write up:

"This series is the result of my need to express the profound sympathy and compassion I felt for the people and the country of Japan as they struggled to recover from the horrific triple nightmare of March 11, 2011.  My husband was working in Osaka, Japan when the disaster happened. Though he felt the quake, he wasn’t personally affected. Several friends and family still live in Japan and I think about how it affects their daily lives and future. I am now on a mission to educate the viewers of my pieces about Japan and the triple disaster that continues to affect life there.  This series started out as and was planned as a single piece. Ideas flooded me and kept me up nights. It became what it needed to become: a series of twelve. Fabrics, color and quilt stitches are chosen with great deliberation, striving for the emotive quality that the subject demands."



Congrats to Cindy!

No comments:

Post a Comment